Paediatric Surgeon - Udaya Samarakkody
Paediatric & Laparoscopic Surgeon
Mrs Udaya Samarakkody
MBBS, MS, DCH,FRCS, FRACS
Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatric Urologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon
I offer the entire range of paediatric surgery, paediatric urology and minimal access surgery. My common services are:
- Surgery for inguinal hernia, hydrocoele, undescended testes, umbilical hernia, tongue tie, hypospadias, appendicitis and enlarged lymph nodes.
- Circumcision (medical, social and religious)
- Comprehensive endoscopy service that includes upper GI endoscopy, colonscopy, cystoscopy, bronchoscopy and related procedures
- Abdominal surgery (including laparoscopy)
- Thoracic Surgery (including thoracoscopy)
- Paediatric urology: Vesico ureteric reflux, urinary tract infection, kidney stones, hydronephrosis and urodynamic studies
- Neonatal surgery
- Consultation for antenatally diagnosed foetal abnormalities
My special interests are Paediatric urology and minimal access surgery (key hole surgery).
My achievements and involvement in the community has involved:
- 10 years as a Paediatric surgeon in Hamilton
- Director of Paediatric surgery at Waikato Hospital, Hamilton since 2002.
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer in paediatric surgery, Waikato Clinical School of University of Auckland.
- NZ representative of Australasian Association of Paediatric surgeons (AAPS) 2000-2004
- Secretary, New Zealand Society of Paediatric surgeons, 1999 & 2000
- Secretary, Perinatal Society of New Zealand, 2002-2006
- Secretary, Waikato Postgraduate Medicine Inc, 2002 to date
I am a member of the following professional associations:
- Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- International Paediatric Endosurgical Group
- New Zealand Society of Paediatric Surgeons (founder member)
- Perinatal Society of New Zealand
- Waikato Postgraduate Medicine Inc.
I speak Te Reo Maori.
My friendly staff includes Gabrielle Cavanagh, our office administrator.
Surgeries are performed at Braemar Hospital, Braemar Day Surgery Hospital and Southern Cross Hospital